[DRBD-user] No valid meta data found

John McAlinden john.mcalinden at oasis-software.ltd.uk
Wed Apr 22 12:28:53 CEST 2015

One drbd server crashed and since rebooting I have been unable to bring up one of the four drbd resources it hosts. The resource (r0) is primary on the server concerned. The other 3 resources (one primary and two secondary) are working correctly. The error message is:
No valid meta data found
Command 'drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/sdb internal apply-al' terminated with exit code 255

DRBD Version:
version: 8.4.3 (api:1/proto:86-101)
srcversion: 6551AD2C98F533733BE558C

Linux Version:
Linux server 3.13.0-45-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 13 19:36:28 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The secondary server for r0 has not been rebooted and reports the following:
version: 8.4.3 (api:1/proto:86-101)
srcversion: 6551AD2C98F533733BE558C
0: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown A r-----
    ns:0 nr:453822440 dw:453822440 dr:0 al:0 bm:561 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:f oos:0

Device sdb is a 1.8 GB GPT disk with around 90% used so ideally I don't want to recreate it.

I'm fairly certain that the secondary is in sync with the primary as the resource is used for server backup. Is it possible to copy the meta data from the secondary to the primary or is there a better way to get the primary r0 back online?

Many Thanks

John McAlinden