[DRBD-user] Remote failed to finish a request within ko-count * timeout

D.Gossrau dgossrau at andtek.com
Mon Oct 27 09:25:23 CET 2014

Hello mailing list !

 From time to time I see in /var/log/messages following messages :

kernel: block drbd1: Remote failed to finish a request within ko-count *
timeout
kernel: block drbd1: peer( Secondary -> Unknown ) conn( Connected ->
Timeout ) pdsk( UpToDate -> DUnknown )

DRBD version : 8.4.3

The DRBD manual describes the parameter ko-count as follows:

ko-count number

     If a secondary node fails to complete a write request in ko-count
times the timeout parameter, it is excluded from the cluster. The
primary node then sets the connection to this secondary node to
Standalone. The default value of ko-count is 0, which disables this feature.

In my DRBD configuration ko-count is not configured. According to the
manual I assume the feature is disabled in this case.

But why are the messages written into the log file ? What's the reason
for that ? Which parameter needs to be changed to avoid this ?

Thanks for any hints !

Kind regards,
Detlef