[DRBD-user] drbd storage size

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Thu Oct 23 10:00:35 CEST 2014

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2014, 18:48:38 schrieb Meij, Henk:
> Hello All, new to the list but not drbd.  We currently run a few very small
> drbd setups.
>

> We are planning on moving our "research computing storage" to drbd.  This
> would be 4 integrated server/storage modules grouped in 2 drbd pairs on
> CentOS.  Each drbd unit will have 112 TB usable storage area under raid 60
> (LSI) with 2 global spares. We are planning on a straight forward setup:
> /dev/sdb1 -> /dev/drsb0  -> xfs; all on 4 TB 7.2K SATA disks.
>

> Is anybody running 100+ TB drbd installations and what throughput are you
> achieving on first initialization?

Your options are:

 1) Do the initial resync
    PRO: Everything is in sync
    CON: Might take weeks

 2) Skip the initial resync
    PRO: Quick setup
    CON: Space not allocated by the XFS is not in sync

2a) Initialize both backend devices to a known state.
    I.e. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=$((1024*1024)) oflag=direct
    ...and skip the initial resync
    PRO: Possibly quicker than option 1
    PRO: Everything is in sync
    CON: Still, takes a while (unit = days)

 3) In case your /dev/sdb1 actually thinly provisioned:
    start a regular resync, discard the whole device immediately afterwards.
    (E.g. mkfs.xfs)
    The discard operations will get replicated by DRBD. (For DRBD a discard
    is a giant write, that happens to transmit in a blink over the network
    link, and happens to get executed faster than regular writes by the
    backing device, usually)
    These discard ops will contribute to the initial resync. DRBD will display
    a crazy resync rate of many gigabytes per second...
    PRO: Everything is in sync
    CON: None.

3a) If it is not thinly provisioned, use LVM and a thin LV to make it
    thinly provisioned.

You will find the details for options 1 and 2 on the drbdsetup manpage,
look for "new-current-uuid".

PS: When you have done it, please share you experience with the list.

Best regards,
 Phil