[DRBD-user] parted to move a partition DRBD uses as a backing device

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jul 31 00:49:50 CEST 2014

Hi all,

   I am trying to add support for growing storage on nodes. Currently I
have this (as an example):

===
an-c05n01:~# parted -a opt /dev/sda "print free"
Model: LSI RAID 5/6 SAS 6G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 599GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
         32.3kB  1049kB  1016kB            Free Space
  1      1049kB  538MB   537MB   primary   ext4            boot
  2      538MB   4833MB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)
  3      4833MB  26.3GB  21.5GB  primary   ext4
  4      26.3GB  599GB   573GB   extended                  lba
  5      26.3GB  333GB   307GB   logical
  6      333GB   599GB   266GB   logical
====

   I am currently using LSI's MegaCli64 to add a new physical disk to
the RAID array, and when it's done, the virtual disk (/dev/sda) should
be ~300 GB larger. I expect that will show up as unused space in parted.

   In the above, /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 back /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1
respectively. Say I want to grow both partitions evenly, I will first
need to move /dev/sda6 ~150GB down the disk to make space for growing
/dev/sda5.

   So reading parted's docs[1], I should be able to run:

parted -a opt /dev/sda "move 6 483G"

   However, it lists in the docs that the "FS" needs to support this,
and well, DRBD is not an FS.

   So has anyone tried this? Is it supported at all?

Thanks!

1.
https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_chapter/parted_2.html#SEC20

PS - I have no idea if the grow will even work properly, still waiting
for it to finish. :)

--
Digimer
access to education?