[DRBD-user] formatting a DRBD resource

Paul O'Rorke paul at tracker-software.com
Thu Jan 30 00:40:27 CET 2014

Hi all,

a quick question.  I have a DRBD resource that was once used as a drive
for a Linux machine that used LVM.  I want to create a new VM (KVM
based) that uses this resource.  I can start the installation OK - the
installer 'sees' the 300GB drive (/dev/drbd/by-res/<resource>) but when
I try using the partition manager in the Debian (guest) installer it
complains that there is already LVM data on there and it won't allow me
to use the drive without first cleaning up the LVM config on there.

Is it possible to mount the resource in the host and use the command
line LVM tools to 'clean' that up?  I was thinking that maybe I could
use *dd* to clone a new clean resource of the same size but that seems
silly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for 'formatting' this resource so that
it looks again like a clean un-partitioned disk?

Thanks in advance.
--

*Paul O'Rorke*
Tracker Software Products