[DRBD-user] Guide to growing DRBD on raw partitions under clustered LVM

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Aug 5 11:11:22 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:06:01PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Your friendly neighbourhood documentor decided to work out how to
> grow storage in HA clusters using DRBD.
>
> https://alteeve.ca/w/Anvil!_Tutorial_2_-_Growing_Storage
>
>   It's based around the main Anvil! tutorial, but it should be easy
> to adapt to pretty much any situation that is using DRBD on raw
> partitions. In my case, I do this because it gets complicated mixing
> LVM under DRBD and clustered LVM over DRBD.
>
>   Spelling/grammer/logic mistakes, please let me know. :)

Many people find your tutorials.
Because, well, you know ;-)

So my guess is, people will find this tutorial soon,
when they search for DRBD and resize,
right next to the DRBD User's Guide.

We will update that one, if we have not already.

But it won't hurt to add a warning note to your tutorial
about resizing as well:
I seriously broke certain scenarios of resize,
leading to data loss/corruption.

I paste the commit that fixed it below.
The issue is with *offline* resize with *internal* meta data,
while intending to keep the data in place.

For this scenario,
drbdmeta up to and including 8.4.2 is ok afaik,
drbdmeta in 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 is broken,
drbdmeta from drbd-utils 8.9.0 and above is ok again.

(No comment on your tutorial itself,
I did not really read through it yet.)

commit 4413afe8ed9819d45e7575c635e062ce2202cbbe