[DRBD-user] Replication for disaster recovery

Velko veljko3 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:06:38 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm planing to use DRBD for DR and since I've never used it, I have a
few questions.

1. Have anyone used it for replication to different data center (both
east coast of USA)? I was thinking of using protocol A without DRBD
proxy (maybe protocol B). How does it work in real life?

2. Since there is a lot of 2-3 MB files in size of 1GB daily that are
not that important in case I need to switch to secondary site, would it
be possible to put those files on separate partition (DRBD device) and
configure it to have lower priority? Maybe only periodicaly
resynchronization? I understood that it is much more efficient.
Partition with less changing files and InnoDB tables would have high
priority.

3. Would having separate NIC for replications improve performances in
this case?

4. Is it possible to configure DRBD to automatically demote in case of
loosing internet connection?

Regards,
Velko