[DRBD-user] Problem with crm fencing

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Sep 30 13:02:34 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:25:12PM -0700, Digimer wrote:
> I sorted it out.
>
> I thought it would be like 'obliterate-peer.sh' or 'rhcs_fence' on cman
> where cman just had to be running for the fence-handler script to work.
> I dug into crm-fence-peer.sh and saw that it was parsing cib.xml. I'd
> not configured DRBD inside pacemaker, so the fence handler was failing.
>
> Thanks for letting me rubber-ducky debug on the list. :)

Yep.

The point of the crm-fence-peer.sh script is to tell pacemaker about it.

It is NOT there to cause the cluster stack to shoot the peer,
nor to cause the cluster stack to shoot the peer faster.

It places a constraint for pacemaker,
so pacemaker won't attempt to promote the resource on the other node.

And to *avoid* to shoot the peer if just the replication link went down.

Obviously, if pacemaker is not even responsible for promoting,
telling pacemaker to not promote something it does not even know about
cannot possibly help ;-)

Using "become-primary" when using pacemaker
is almost always not the best idea.

--
: Lars Ellenberg