[DRBD-user] Unable to sync new machine

Hans Lammerts j.lammerts at chello.nl
Sat Sep 14 14:47:33 CEST 2013

Note: "permalinks" may not be as permanent as we would like,
direct links of old sources may well be a few messages off.

Hi there,

I’ve been using drbd for approx. 2 years now, and never had any big problems.

Recently, one of two machines in my cluster crashed, and I had to reinstall it completely.

Now I seem to be unable to sync that second machine with the first one.

The situation:

I’m using drbd 8.4.0

Machine 1 is called earth, machine 2 is called vulcan.

Earth is the survivor half of my cluster, and vulcan had to be rebuilt.

The actions I’ve taken:

After compiling drbd on vulcan, I copied the resource file from /etc/drbd.d from earth to

vulcan in the same place. In this case, the resource file for mysql, which looks like this :

resource mysql {
  protocol C;
  syncer {
    rate 4M;
  startup {
    wfc-timeout 15;
    degr-wfc-timeout 60;

handlers {

split-brain "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-split-brain.sh j.lammerts at chello.nl";

net {
    cram-hmac-alg sha1;
    shared-secret "xxxxxxxxxxx";

verify-alg sha1;

after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;

after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;

    after-sb-2pri disconnect;
  on vulcan {
    device /dev/drbd0;
    disk /dev/sda5;
    meta-disk internal;
  on earth {
    device /dev/drbd0;
    disk /dev/sda5;
    meta-disk internal;

Then, I created the device meta-data on vulcan:

drbdadm create-md mysql

After (re)starting drbd on both machines, the cat /proc/drbd shows this:


[root at earth ~]# cat /proc/drbd

version: 8.4.0 (api:1/proto:86-100)

GIT-hash: 28753f559ab51b549d16bcf487fe625d5919c49c build by root at earth, 2013-09-07 17:35:35

 0: cs:StandAlone ro:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   r-----

    ns:0 nr:0 dw:19360172 dr:6497416 al:138 bm:50 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:216372


[root at vulcan drbd.d]# cat /proc/drbd

version: 8.4.0 (api:1/proto:86-100)

GIT-hash: 28753f559ab51b549d16bcf487fe625d5919c49c build by root at vulcan, 2013-09-12 16:25:17

 0: cs:StandAlone ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:Inconsistent/DUnknown   r----s

    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:4652876

So both Standalone, and Primary/Unknown vs. Secondary/Unknown.

Having Googled for this situation and its solution, I tried the solution as described in the Linbit DRBD manual,

but “stopping short of 5.4”. The only thing that happens (as far as I can see) is that earth briefly goes into

the WFConnection state, and nothing else.

I tried the following as well:

On earth:

drbdadm connect all

On vulcan:

drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect all (or drbdadm connect –discard-my-data mysql, can’t remember exactly)

But this did not get the synching of the resource started as well.

I’m out of ideas, and can’t really find anything searching Google different from what I have already tried.

So, please, if anyone can give me a clou on how to resolve this situation, preferably without losing any data on earth,

I would be most grateful.



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/attachments/20130914/fd0f4013/attachment.htm>

More information about the drbd-user mailing list