[DRBD-user] Using DRBD VBDs

Urban Hakansson uhakansson at tecore.com
Wed Oct 9 17:52:59 CEST 2013

The DRBD documentation states in Chapter 13(DRBD +8.4) and in Chapter 1 4 (DRBD < 8.4) , Using Xen with DRBD

"Using DRBD VBDs"

In order to use a DRBD resource as the virtual block device, you must add a line like the following to your Xen domU configuration:
disk = [ 'drbd:<resource>,xvda,w' ]
This example configuration makes the DRBD resource named resource available to the domU as /dev/xvda in read/write mode ( w )."

What versions of Xen does this apply to?

I have just installed Xen 4.2.1 (released Dec 18 2012) with drbd- 8.3.11-remus .tar.gz (from http://resmusha.wikidot.com) with Ubuntu 12.10, following the instructions at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Install_Xen_4.2.1_with_Remus_and_DRBD_on_Ubuntu_12.10, and I cannot create my HVM domUs if I use the drbd VBD type. I have to use the phy VBD type which is not desirable since Xen will not automatically promote the DRBD resource roles (Secondary,Primary) if I do this.

I just wish to know if I need to apply the patch from remusha.wikidot, called "drbd-hvm-fix" in order to use HVM domUs , or if I need convert my HVM s to PVs o r do something else.

Urban Hakansson
Senior Software Engineer
Tecore Networks
Phone: +1 410 872 6315
Fax: +1 410 872 6010
Email: uhakansson at tecore.com

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       This e-mail may contain privileged, confidential, copyrighted or other legally protected information, and is intended exclusively for the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (even if the e-mail address above is yours), you may not review, store, use, copy, disclose or retransmit it in any form.  If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise have received this by mistake, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail (or sysadmin at tecore.com), then delete the message in its entirety. Thank you.