[DRBD-user] problem using lv as drbd backend device

Mia Lueng xiaozunvlg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 05:26:36 CEST 2013

I have built a drbd cluster. The storage setting is like the following:

backend LV--->drbd0--->pv-->vg-->userlv

That means I create a drbd device on a LV, and create a volume group on
drbd device again.

In /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, I add a filter so that pvscan do not probe for the
backend LV.  This works fine on normal suitation.

Now A is primary, and B is secondary.    Break the link of A's storage(fc
san), HA cluster will detect the error and failover the resource from A to
B. But the drbd resource  and filesystem can not be stopped on A, so A will
be reboot (due to stop fail handle) and B will takeover all the resource.
When A rejoin the cluster, the drbd resource can not be start as secondary
automatically: the backend LV can not be attached to the drbd resource.

vcs2:~ # lvs
  LV       VG     Attr   LSize    Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  drbd0_lv drbdvg -wi-ao  800.00M
  oralv    oravg  -wi-a- 1000.00M
vcs2:~ # modprobe drbd
vcs2:~ # drbdadm up drbd0
0: Failure: (104) Can not open backing device.
Command 'drbdsetup 0 disk /dev/drbdvg/drbd0_lv /dev/drbdvg/drbd0_lv
internal --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=pass_on
--no-disk-barrier --no-disk-flushes' terminated with exit code 10
vcs2:~ # fuser -m /dev/drbdvg/drbd0_lv
vcs2:~ # lvdisplay /dev/drbdvg/drbd0_lv
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/drbdvg/drbd0_lv
  VG Name                drbdvg
  LV UUID                Np92C2-ttuq-yM16-mDf2-5TLE-rn5g-rWrtVq
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                800.00 MB
  Current LE             200
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     1024
  Block device           252:6

My solution is:
1.restore the default configure of /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and run
pvscan/vgchange -ay to active the lv on drbd0(now on the backend lv) and
deactive it again.
2. change the lvm.conf to cluster config and run pvscan/vgchange -ay again
3. start drbd0 , attach the backend lv
4. run drbdadm verify drbd0 on primary node.

It does work.

Have anyone a better solution? Thanks.