[DRBD-user] How to reconnect old primary

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri May 10 18:10:20 CEST 2013

From: Vadym Chepkov
> We had a problem with with servers and, unfortunately I had to
> bring up what was the "outdated" secondary using
> drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary all

Did you mean "drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 primary -o"?  Anyway, you did get the
resources on m152 promoted to primary/consistent, which is what matters.

> [root at m152 ~]# cat /proc/drbd
>  0: cs:WFConnection ro:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/Outdated

This is fine.  m152 thinks it's primary and has up-to-date data.

> Now, we we able to bring back what used to be primary online and
> I want to reconnect it back and make it secondary. I invalidated
> data on the former primary:
> (on m151) drbdadm invalidate all
> [root at m151 ~]# cat /proc/drbd
>  0: cs:StandAlone ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:Inconsistent/Outdated

> When I try to connect I am not successful, probably because the
> remote m152 is marked as "Outdated"

m151 is showing "outdated" in its /proc/drbd because that's what it thought
m152 was the last time the machines were talking to each other.

> (on m151) drbdadm connect all
> [root at m151 ~]# cat /proc/drbd
>  0: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:Inconsistent/Outdated
> How do I get out of this predicament?

Make sure that m151 and m152 are able to ping each other on the interfaces
they're using for DRBD.  Then check the output from dmesg, which should have
more information about why m151 and m152 aren't talking to each other.  Post
the things that look relevant here; one of the list people will probably be
able to tell you what to do.  Once the machines *are* talking to each other,
m152 should tell m151 "I have up-to-date data" and everything should resync.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows