[DRBD-user] 3 node stacked setup and dual primary issues

Cristian Mammoli c.mammoli at apra.it
Mon Mar 18 12:53:54 CET 2013

On 18/03/2013 10:19, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:22:19AM +0100, Cristian Mammoli wrote:
>> Hi, as far as I understand a 3 node steup with dual primary and 3rd
>> node for disaster recovery is not possible:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/22188#22188
>>
>> So I tried the following setup as suggested by Lars:
>
> (actually, I suggested to reconsider the "need" for dual Primary...)

Yes but unfortunately we are going to use drbd as backing device for a
virtualization appliance (Proxmox VE) which requires dual primary to be
able to live migrate vms.

> Design limitation in DRBD 8.x and this setup.
>
> For recovery, you need to do extra steps
> (and if you know how, you can avoid some full sync).
> You'd better consult with us first, before trying to pull this off.

Doing a full resync in case of a failback from the DR site is not an
issue. It won't be an everyday task.

> With DRBD 9, we plan to have this deployment covered without the hacks,
> but it will be some time yet, until 9 is good for production.

Is this feature already implemented/documented? I can give it a try in
my test lab.

Thanks

--
Cristian Mammoli