[DRBD-user] State change failed: Device is held open by someone

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Mar 13 10:38:53 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:30:02AM +0100, Felix Frank wrote:
> Hi Satyajit,
>
> this is an instace of thread confusion. The haresources answer was not
> actually directed to you, but instead belongs to an old thread that
> happens to have the same subject.
>
> The proposed solutions applies to setups with the obsolete heartbeat
> cluster stack, which you are (hopefully) not using, so this will likely
> not help your case.

If you read not only the text, but also the meaning,
then *of course* this will help.

| Heartbeat was commanding DRBD to unmount/detach a filesystem when a key
| service was not yet shut down.  Once I cleared that up not only did the
| messages go away but failover occurs within 2-3 seconds!

Read:

	"When we tried to stop DRBD,
	our service was still running, so DRBD was still in use,
	and correctly complained about that.

	Once we made sure that our service (and all users of DRBD)
	were properly shut down first,
	we were able to stop DRBD instantly."

So yes: that's what you have to do.

DRBD is not making stuff up,
if it says someone is using it,
then that's a fact.

> On 03/13/2013 06:32 AM, Satyajit Paul wrote:
> > Hello Mwoolfso,
> >
> > I tested after changing the data type of open_cnt variable to
> > atomic_t, but it didnot work.

I told you so ;-)

--
: Lars Ellenberg