[DRBD-user] DRBD Dual Primary and KVM

Aaron Clausen mightymartianca at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 18:13:08 CEST 2013

I'm currently configuring two KVM host servers and things are going
along pretty well. I'm story KVM images directly to the drbd devices
in raw format, and it's working very well with tolerable overhead.

One thing I am wondering, however, is whether I can safely switch from
primary/secondary mode to dual primary. I know in most cases you're
supposed to have a shared cluster file system, but primarily my
interest here is in quickly migrating from server to the other.
Removing "drbdadm primary"/"drbdadm secondary" would make things a bit
easier. As it stands, only one server is going to be accessing the
drbd device at a time (firing up two guests with the same MACs,
network configs and the like would be pretty ugly all on its own).

Or is it simply safer to continue running in primary/secondary mode?

--
Aaron Clausen
mightymartianca at gmail.com