[DRBD-user] Pacemaker, Xen and temporary dual primary

Jarno Elonen elonen at iki.fi
Thu Jul 11 22:16:03 CEST 2013

On Thursday, July 11, 2013, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> No. But this is actually not needed at all.
>
> What you want is a Xen block script that switches the primary/secondary
> mode at the right time.

Are you sure? I think XEN live migration needs two primaries to
succeed (for a very short period, but anyway).
I'm using XEN's own DRBD scripts instead of having Pacemaker manage them,
so if a fast secondary/primary swap would be possible, I'd image the script
would already use it.

Anyway, yesterday I actually wrote a bash script that, given only a XEN
domain's name, finds out which DRBD resources it uses, temporarily enables
a dual-primary mode for them, does the migration and then disallows dual
primary again.
=> it's definitely possible to automate the process with DRBD 8.4, so I'd
imagine a Pacemaker script wouldn't be impossible either. Unless there are
some architectural obstacles, of course. I'm not familiar/confident enough
with Pacemaker to try and hack it in myself, though.

-Jarno