[DRBD-user] Expanding a cluster

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Thu Jan 31 22:50:19 CET 2013

Justin: I would suggest:

Swap ALL drives in one server with 2T drives, build the new RAID array, let that sync.

You have a "backup" in the 1T drives you pulled.

Ditto for the Primary.

You miss the rebuild, you only do the sync. A rebuild reads EVERY sector, regardless of whether it's in use; just asking for a failure on that many drives - and - you want to do that 32 times! Please don't.

The only exposure in doing all 16 drives at one time is that there is a single copy of any changes that take place after you disconnect the servers until the sync completes. If a catastrophe occurs during that period, you have the original 16 drives as a fall back.

Another issue is you miss the opportunity to reorg into two, 8-drive arrays as Adam suggests. Hey, I bet all your current data will fit onto 8, 2T drives. You could do both at the same time.

Disconnect, pull 16 1T, add 16 2T, build 2 arrays of 8 drives each, sync drbd to only one of them. Switch to the other server, repeat on the first, and then migrate at your leisure half of the load from the first 8-disk array to the second.

Dan "top poster" in Atlanta