[DRBD-user] Question about disk barrier/flush/drain/none

Lin Zhao lin at groupon.com
Thu Jan 17 23:16:37 CET 2013

I'm setting up a drbd setup using protocol B. I noticed huge performance
impact when using disk barrier or disk flush. The drbd manual states when
the storage is not battery backed, we should use barrier or flush. My
question is, if we use drain or none, are we using a disk write mode less
secure compared to writing directly to the native hard drive? Or is this an
extra feature drbd provides to improve reliability?

--
Lin Zhao
Data Platform Engineer