[DRBD-user] One large partition for external meta-data?

isy isy at ipa.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Feb 19 16:19:04 CET 2013

Having a LVM setup with about 50 partition already in use I've tried to setup
drbd with external meta-data.

I created a new logical volume /dev/vg0/lvdrbd with 20G (I think it's more
then enough!?):

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg0/lvdrbd
  VG Name                vg0
  LV UUID                ERwJml-5DQT-B11M-dd1E-nMgx-Fh5r-vmTrPu
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 12
  LV Size                20.00 GiB
  Current LE             5120
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     1024
  Block device           253:57

Whenever I've got the time, I add a partition to the running drbd-config:

resource lv28 {
  device minor 28;
  disk /dev/vg0/lv28;
  meta-disk /dev/vg0/lvdrbd[28];
  on keller {
    address 192.168.6.3:7728;
  }
  on schrank {
    address 192.168.6.4:7728;
  }
}

so that all external meta-data of all partitions will be on /dev/vg0/lvdrbd

man drbd.conf:
"You can use a single block device to store meta-data of multiple DRBD
devices. E.g. use meta-disk /dev/sde6[0]; and meta-disk /dev/sde6[1]; for
two different resources. In this case the meta-disk would need to be at
least 256 MB in size."

When I submit

drbdadm create-md lv28

the output SOMETIMES is like

md_offset 4026531840
al_offset 4026535936
bm_offset 4026568704

Found some data

 ==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

Writing meta data...
initializing activity log
NOT initialized bitmap
New drbd meta data block successfully created.
success

It is SOMETIMES, not always, but I'm getting nervous about it...

Can anyone tell me, what I'm doing wrong??

Is it ok to use meta-disk /dev/vg0/lvdrbd[28]; and meta-disk
/dev/vg0/lvdrbd[5]; for the next partition or must the index be counted up??

Thanks in advance

isy