[DRBD-user] DRDB over Software RAID1 - Failure: (104) Can not open backing device

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Mon Aug 26 15:41:44 CEST 2013

DRBD can't use /dev/md4 because it's in use. It has a mounted filesystem using the entire device.

You have your resource stack out of order. You would share the drbd device created from the md4 device. However, /dev/md4 already has a file system so you must shrink it or use external metadata. I'd suggest you shrink it and use internal metadata.

What you have:

*         There are various disk devices (not specified)

*         Upon which is run raid providing /dev/md4

*         Which contains an ext2 filesystem (/srv)

*         Which is shared.

What you want:

*         There are various disk devices (not specified)

*         Upon which is run raid providing /dev/md4

*         Which is the backing device for DRBD

*         Which provides /dev/drbd1

*         Which contains an ext2 filesystem (/srv)

*         Which is shared.

Clear as mud?

Dan