[DRBD-user] Unable to enable resource

Goutam Baul goutam.baul at rp-sg.in
Thu Aug 1 14:06:11 CEST 2013

Dear List,

We are configuring DRBD for the first time using the DRBD manual. We are
planning to setup DRBD on our mail server running on RHEL 6.1 (64 bit), with
the sole objective to replicate the mail store and mail queue from our data
center to the DR site. Both the sites are connected with giga bit captive OF
network.

We have installed  the following drbd rpm that was built from the source
drbd-8.4.3.tar.gz  using rpmbuild :-

drbd-heartbeat-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-xen-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-km-debuginfo-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-udev-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-pacemaker-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-debuginfo-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-utils-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-km-2.6.32_131.0.15.el6.x86_64-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

drbd-bash-completion-8.4.3-2.el6.x86_64

We intend to keep the meta data to a separate partition though the manual
talks about keeping it internal. We are trying to do this because as per our
understanding the meta data sits on a raw partition. But the data that we
would be replicating has to be in an EXT3 partition. Kindly guide us in case
we are going wrong here.

We have created a partition using fdisk and have not formatted the same with
any file system. Then we have issued the command

drbdadm create-md r0

on both the nodes. This step went through without any problem. After that we
issued to the command

drbdadm up r0

But this command generates the following error at both the nodes.

[root at drbdtest1 ~]# drbdadm up r0

1: Failure: (104) Can not open backing device.

Command 'drbdsetup attach 1 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda6 flexible' terminated with
exit code 10

The resource file we are using are as follows:

resource r0 {

  on drbdtest1.cesc.co.in {

    device    /dev/drbd1;

    disk      /dev/sda3;