[DRBD-user] remote buffer cache

Thu Oct 25 11:45:15 CEST 2012

On 25/10/12 20:24, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:03:14AM +0200, Thilo Uttendorfer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the man-page of drbd.conf says about protocol B "...completed, if it has
>> reached local disk and remote buffer cache".
>>
>> How can I determine the size of the remote buffer cache? Is this cache also
>> limited by the "max-buffers" option?
> DRBDs max-buffers settings has something to do with it,
> but that does not change between DRBD protocols.
>
> There are pictures somewhere in those "papers" linked from the
> documentation page. iirc.
>
> Anyways, I'll try some ascii art:

Thank you very much for your explanations, is it possible to get a
pointer to the docs for the configuration options available for each
buffer, and what the buffer is for, what impact it has, etc...

I think some of my performance issues are that the secondary is not
"allowed" to get too far behind because a buffer is filling up. I'd like
to extend that buffer significantly.

ie, I'd like to use protocol B, and I don't mind how far behind the
secondary gets, (latency between primary and secondary is not an issue,
the secondary just can't write to disk as fast as the primary, so is
getting behind for short periods of time).

That is my specific current question, but in reality, from all the docs
I've read on the drbd website, there doesn't seem to be a page which
documents all of the config options, and explains in some detail what
each option does. (or I could just be blind, dense, or both...)

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev