[DRBD-user] DRBD Versions

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Wed Oct 24 14:52:21 CEST 2012

I don't understand the hubbub over compiling this thing. My first DRBD was
on Linux from scratch, a distribution where everything is done by hand, so
there was no package manager availaable. I found the install quite simple.
My most recent upgrade consisted of these easy steps, and took about 2
minutes. Selecting the kernel parameters for your environment (step 5) might
take a little more time, but not counting backups, I'd say 10 minutes ought
to do it.

There are some prereqs, but they are probably on your system already: make
gcc libc6 flex linux-headers-`uname -r` libc6-dev libssl-dev.

1. cd /usr/src/
2. wget http://oss.linbit.com/drbd/8.4/drbd-8.4.2.tar.gz
3. tar -xzf drbd-8.4.2.tar.gz
4. cd drbd-8.4.2/
5. ./configure --with-km --prefix /usr --sysconfdir /etc --localstatedir
/var
6. make clean all
7. make install

I hope seeing it laid out in all its simplicity encourages you to give it a
try. Heck, fire up a virtual machine or two and experiment. That's the fun
part of our jobs anyhow.

Dan