[DRBD-user] basic drbd expansion - lsi raid + internal

randal k rkohutek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 00:04:47 CEST 2012

DRBD Collective!
We are planning on expanding an existing DRBD resource, and have a pretty
straightforward question on how to do it. I have read every thread,
document and more, and it really does boil down to this: does a half-way
decent RAID controller qualify as a dynamic backing block device?

Here is our pancake, which isn't too complex:

[xen]
[vm filesystem]
LVM [because xen wants it]
iSCSI
DRBD (on a block device /dev/sdb, not a partition or LVM)
LSI 9260i RAID10
8x HDDs

We would like to make 8x HDDs --> 12x HDDs. We know that we can use the
various LSI tools to expand the 8-way raid10 to 12 way, and this is very
straightforward. I also know that we can do a rescan of the /dev/sdb device
so that Linux can see the increased size. We do that on both
primary/secondary, both of the servers think they now have the increased
size, and then the DRBD resize.

Once the array is expanded to 12 drives, can we do the online drbdadm
resize? The backing block device would already be bigger, so we *think*
that should work, but we are unsure.

Any help is very, very appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Randal

P.S. We are terrified of the offline resize because it just seems fraught
with pitfalls, and the online seems so easy :-)