[DRBD-user] Migrate LVM to DRBD+LVM ?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Nov 14 22:33:50 CET 2012

Hi,

On 11/14/2012 09:03 PM, Jake Smith wrote:
> 1. Grow the logical volumes the appropriate amount to have room for the metadata at the end of the device.  Estimate the space need (pad it a little if you like) and expand the LV.  This method would be my preference.
>
> 2. Add another logical volume in each volume group to store the metadata.  Estimate the space needed and create an LV each volume group for the metadata.

in short: What Jake said.

For the sake of (more) completeness, I'd like to point out that if you
had not in fact leftover space to do either of these, you could also
3.1. shrink your filesystems sufficiently, say 100M each
3.2. create internal metadata for each LV
3.3. grow your filesystems to fill up the space up to the start of the
respective metadata

But do take the "enlarge LV" route, it's much faster and more simple.

Cheers,
Felix