[DRBD-user] very large out-of-sync (oos) value yet drbd-overview claims UpToDate/UpToDate

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Thu Nov 1 21:37:45 CET 2012

I don't know anything about drbd-overview, I just cat /proc/drbd.

But, I bet it's echoing the same information.

drbd keeps all the bytes in sync that it knows about (UpToDate). The changes it doesn't know about are found by verify. Disconnect/Connect syncs them back up.

If you start with dirty disks, set up drbd and do not sync them, and mkfs a file system on the primary, the disks will be absolutely UpToDate in the blocks that matter for the file system, and horribly out of sync in the blocks that don't matter to anybody at all. Verify will find the oos blocks and mark them for syncing, but the hypothetical file system is still consistent.

Just do the Disconnect/Connect and you'll have oos zero AND UpToDate.

Dan