[DRBD-user] a latency problem ( kernel:3.0.13 and drbd-8.3.12 )

Csurai Akos akos.csurai at ericsson.com
Thu May 10 18:00:59 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have a backup time degradation problem.
In a nutshell (it looks a write latency performance):
- the old IO pair ( SLES10 + drbd 8.2.6 ) can finish the task in 10 seconds
- the new IO pair ( SLES11SP2 + drbd 8.3.12 ) can do it in 16 seconds only.

I can force the old 8.2.6 configuration to slow down if I comment
out
          no-disk-flushes ;
          no-md-flushes   ;
from the disk section in the config file.

When I change the 8.3.12 configuration, it has no effect on speed.
I can prove this "slow down" with the 'standard' drbd latency measurement command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/opt/mirror/perftest/sles.latency-bs512-count4096 bs=512 count=4096 oflag=direct

In this special case the new system is 4 times slower!

Questions:
A) - Is it a known issue for the 8.3.12 drbd ? ( no-disk-flushes no-md-flushes has no real effect )
B) - I have checked the sysctl and io-scheduler settings and tried to
tune the SLES IO performance with no success.
// I used :
http://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/pdfdoc/book_sle_tuning/book_sle_tuning.pdf
// and alsohttp://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-throughput-tuning.html
Is there any hint to try?

I must admit that the throughput test shows 20% advantage,
but I do not mind if it becomes worse, if I can tune up the latency.

Thanks your help in advanced:

BR,
Akos

Here is my config if anyone need it
drbd IO configuration on a SLES10 installation:
# drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 show
disk {
          size                    0s _is_default; # bytes
          on-io-error             detach;
          fencing                 dont-care _is_default;
          no-disk-flushes ;
          no-md-flushes   ;
          max-bio-bvecs           0 _is_default;
}
net {
          timeout                 60 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
          max-epoch-size          2048 _is_default;
          max-buffers             2048 _is_default;
          unplug-watermark        128 _is_default;
          connect-int             10 _is_default; # seconds
          ping-int                10 _is_default; # seconds
          sndbuf-size             131070 _is_default; # bytes
          ko-count                0 _is_default;
          after-sb-0pri           discard-least-changes;
          after-sb-1pri           violently-as0p;
          after-sb-2pri           violently-as0p;
          rr-conflict             disconnect _is_default;
          ping-timeout            5 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
}
syncer {
          rate                    12288k; # bytes/second
          after                   -1 _is_default;
          al-extents              127 _is_default;
          verify-alg              "";
}
protocol C;
_this_host {
          device                  "/dev/drbd0";
          disk                    "/dev/part4";
          meta-disk               internal;
          address                 172.16.32.13:7788;
}
_remote_host {
          address                 172.16.32.9:7788;
}
drbd IO configuration on a SLES11_SP2 installation:
# drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 show
disk {
          size                    0s _is_default; # bytes
          on-io-error             detach;
          fencing                 dont-care _is_default;
          no-disk-flushes ;
          no-md-flushes   ;
          max-bio-bvecs           0 _is_default;
          disk-timeout            0 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
}
net {
          timeout                 60 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
          max-epoch-size          2048 _is_default;
          max-buffers             2048 _is_default;
          unplug-watermark        128 _is_default;
          connect-int             10 _is_default; # seconds
          ping-int                10 _is_default; # seconds
          sndbuf-size             0 _is_default; # bytes
          rcvbuf-size             0 _is_default; # bytes
          ko-count                0 _is_default;
          after-sb-0pri           discard-least-changes;
          after-sb-1pri           violently-as0p;
          after-sb-2pri           violently-as0p;
          rr-conflict             disconnect _is_default;
          ping-timeout            5 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
          on-congestion           block _is_default;
          congestion-fill         0s _is_default; # byte
          congestion-extents      127 _is_default;
}
syncer {
          rate                    12288k; # bytes/second
          after                   -1 _is_default;
          al-extents              127 _is_default;
          on-no-data-accessible   io-error _is_default;
          c-plan-ahead            0 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
          c-delay-target          10 _is_default; # 1/10 seconds
          c-fill-target           0s _is_default; # bytes
          c-max-rate              102400k _is_default; # bytes/second
          c-min-rate              4096k _is_default; # bytes/second
}
protocol C;
_this_host {
          device                  minor 0;
          disk                    "/dev/part4";
          meta-disk               internal;
          address                 ipv4 172.16.0.13:7788;
}
_remote_host {
          address                 ipv4 172.16.0.9:7788;
}

--
This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.
E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.

Ericsson Magyarország Kft., Székhely: 1097 Budapest, Könyves Kálmán krt. 11. B. épület. Nyilvántartó cégbíróság: Fõvárosi Bíróság. Cégjegyzékszám: 01-09-070937