[DRBD-user] ib or 10gbe?

Kavan Smith kavan at linbit.com
Tue May 1 01:31:50 CEST 2012

Hi James,

It all depends on what you are looking to accomplish and what hardware
you are comparing.

Newer Infiniband QDR cards are rated at 40 Gbit/s which are a bit
quicker than the 10GbE alternative.

Today, IPoIB provides great performance, but would be better with native
RDMA support.  10GbE is a great solution, but you really miss out on low
latency high bandwidth capabilities that Infiniband brings to the table.
 Right now, IPoIB is the best solution with DRBD if you want to exceed
current 10GbE benchmarks.

We have a tech guide that will be announced this week, but since you
asked so kindly, please check this out at your leisure:

http://www.linbit.com/en/education/tech-guides/infiniband-and-drbd-technical-guide/

Also...stay tuned... :)

In regards to how DRBD is going to support this in the future:

LINBIT is working to develop native RDMA support for Infiniband (this
will make DRBD on Infiniband much much quicker), but we still need
assistance from the community to make this feature-set possible.

HA and DRBD experts.  We could always use the help! -
feedback at linbit.com if you would like to assist in developing or
sponsoring this feature for the DRBD Community.  Don't just claim you're
an expert, show it! :)

Best,
-Kavan