[DRBD-user] compile drbd 8.4.1 kernel 3.3

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:21:06 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Christophe BOUDER
<Christophe.Bouder at lip6.fr> wrote:

>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Christophe BOUDER
>> <Christophe.Bouder at lip6.fr> wrote:
>>> hello,
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> I have error on compiling drbd 8.4.1 with kernel 3.3
>>
>> Any particular reason for using 3.3 now? (I mean, you are just
>> testing, right?, 3.3 is not stable).
>
> call it as you want, testing or not stable
> for me i can't use it with drbd
> so i can test it on simple computers (and everything is fine)
> but not on my servers.

I'm using it right now on some servers with 3.0 kernels (Ubuntu with
backported kernel, using drbd 8.4.1 just as is), and on other servers
with 2.6.32 kernel (Debian squeeze) with this patch added:

http://git.drbd.org/gitweb.cgi?p=drbd-8.4.git;a=commitdiff;h=55a81dc

Now, if you are using/going to use kernel 3.3 on your servers: you
should think twice, as a mainline kernel, it is prone to stability
bugs more often than stable kernels, If I were you, I would use 3.2,
or just stay with whatever the Linux distribution came (as long as you
are using a stable release from your distro).

I mean, I know there are reasons why one would like to upgrade kernel,
but unless the reasons are so critical that you can risk kernel
crashes, you should avoid doing that.

Now, last, but not least: if you want to still use 3.3 kernel, you are
likely have to wait, or try git HEAD for drbd, instead of 8.4.1 (even
then, I'm not sure if it will work on 3.3 kernel)... however, that's,
also, not yet stable, and thus: increased bug probability.

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo