[DRBD-user] Quick heads-up in case you see us disappearing from the list (was Re: Switch from MD to DRBD)

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Mar 20 17:55:46 CET 2012

Another party concerned.

On Tuesday 20 March 2012 11:23:15 Jake Smith wrote:
> > just so you know: after this, an angry email was directed at me
> > personally from Linbit management, informing me that the user list
> > was
> > "not a marketing platform," that this was "abuse" of the mailing
> > list,
> > and threatening to block all email sent to the list from the
> > hastexo.com domain.
> >
> > To anyone who was offended by the humorous exchange between Arnold,
> > Jake and myself and who felt spammed, my sincere apologies. To
> > everyone who is having trouble discerning why saying "we recommend
> > people use DRBD Proxy" is good whereas asserting that you're
> > providing
> > professional services around F/OSS technologies is bad -- I'm with
> > you; I'm not getting it either. I also don't know whether there's any
> > precedent for this action, but they own the list. It's their
> > decision;
> > I respect other people's decisions.
> >
> > So I don't know whether I am (or anyone else is) still infringing
> > against their list policy (which I can't find anywhere), or whether
> > they're going to kick me and/or my colleagues from the list. But if
> > you suddenly stop hearing from us, that's probably why.
> >
> > Their threat was only about the drbd-user list, by the way. I guess
> > they also co-control the linux-ha{,-dev} mailing lists, but there
> > have
> > been no blocking or removal threats about those.
>
> Having been a part of the *issue* at hand I am truly sorry if I
> annoyed/angered/offended anyone on the list with my weak attempts at humor
> and amusement.

Lets see whether I can trigger my exclusion from this list with a bit more of
satire: While I am thankful for the free(!) support I got through this list by
current, former and then-current employees of linbit, I might add that one can
also contract me (actually the firm I am with) for things a bit simplier then
HA and DRBD. But we are trying to work our way up und thus working on
failover, redundancy and HA:-)

> The only other thing I will say is I think a little market competition is
> one thing but market dominance by control/regulation is a whole other. Did
> we forget our foundations are built from community?

Host the lists on sourceforge or berlios or something and your talk is true.
Host it on linbits or hastexos or your own server and whoever is the owner of
the server gets to decide what to do. That has nothing to do with market-
control as they can't control alternative lists on other platforms (aka
market). But they "own" the list (aka the house), so they get to set the
rules. And if one of the rules is "no advertisement for other business", thats
what they enforce (to be fair, linbit themself is doing very little
advertisement here). Of course it would be nice if these rules where put up
some place visible for all participants to see...

Linbit, please realize that it wasn't hastexo doing the "advertisement" but a
third party not connected with either linbit nor hastexo in business ways.
Please don't lower the level of (free) support for your products on this list
by excluding people with knowledge.

Have fun,

Arnold