[DRBD-user] Kernel hung on DRBD / MD RAID

Andreas Bauer ab at voltage.de
Mon Mar 5 16:16:50 CET 2012

From:	Micha Kersloot <micha at kovoks.nl>
Sent:	Mon 05-03-2012 11:31

> Hi Andreas,
>
> > > Looks like MD is stepping on it's own toes there.
> >
> > Stepping on one's own toes is something one isn't supposed to do, right? ;-)
> >
> > I might raise the issue with the MD developpers but at the moment I am still
> confused why DRBD did
> > behave like it did. How would DRBD behave when the backing device blocks hard?
>
> did you get any further on this original problem as we are battling the same
> problems for some time now, but with a slightly different configuration:
> XEN (4.0.1) Virtual machines, on top of
> DRBD (8.3.7)on top of
> LVM2 on top of
> RAID1 (pv=/dev/md3), on top of
> sda4, sdb4

This looks pretty much the same as my configuration, albeit with XEN rather than KVM.

No I haven't gotten any further and do not have equipment for testing at the moment, but put my effort into carefully scheduling all cron-jobs / backups so that there are no RAID resync/verify runs when heavy I/O can be expected. So far no recurrence. By default MD resync runs first sunday each month, around 1am on Debian.

regards,

Andreas