[DRBD-user] sync doesnt work

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Thu Jun 28 14:36:17 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 02:24 PM, Walter Robert Ditzler wrote:
> My old
> host, xen001 is going to be formated and reinstalled. does that mean i
> should rather setup "internal" fort he meta-data?

I never tried external, but it really must work one way or the other.

Far as I know, there can be performance benefits in external MD, but not
if your md disk is in the same LVM VG.

You may want to forego the officially discourad meta data indices
though. After all, with LVM there is nothing stopping you from creating
an md disk per volume.

> i am only a bit afraid when i bring up again my new xen001, what will be in
> the future, what did i wrong in the config files or better, what
> possibilities do i have to track or test the sync's of drbd devices?

Right, this should really not happen under any circumstances.

As described earlier, you can do simple tests by mounting snapshots of
your filesystem on the secondary, or so I believe. Careful though, this
*will* affect write performance on your primary.

Apart from that, I'm not really sure what happened here. It reminds me
of a case a while back when someone had a diskless secondary for a long
while, and then ended up with horribly outdated filesystems of course.

Sorry for being of little help,
Felix