[DRBD-user] drbd 8.3.12 not writing meta data

Dirk dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Wed Jun 6 21:28:33 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

on a freshly installed server pair I am activating 3 drbd volumes each.
The first two go without problem, the third returns
> [root at server-01 ~]# drbdadm create-md RESOURCE
> Writing meta data...
> initializing activity log
> NOT initialized bitmap
> New drbd meta data block successfully created.
> success
> Command 'drbdmeta 2 v08 /dev/sda7 internal write-dev-uuid
> B8B8EDD2900264FC' terminated with exit code 255
The weird things about that are:
- /dev/sda7 is a freshly created partition with nothing on it
- this happens on both servers with exactly this partition

Even disabling sanity-checks does not really work:
> [root at server-01 ~]# drbdmeta --ignore-sanity-checks 2 v08 /dev/sda7
> internal write-dev-uuid B8B8EDD2900264FC
> [root at server-01 ~]# drbdadm attach RESOURCE
> 2: Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.
>
>     ==> Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area. <==
I am stuck. I do not google many hits with the above exit code and find
nothing in the docs about it - any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk