[DRBD-user] Three-way replication setup

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Jun 5 22:14:00 CEST 2012

On 05.06.2012 21:06, Florian Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
>> Luca Fornasari <luca.fornasari at upprovider.it> schrieb:
>>> I have already setup a two  node HA Proxmox cluster configuring as per
>>> <http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster>
>>> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD
>>> So I have a primary/primary DRBD resource (yes I configured fencing
>>> correctly).
>> I believe that three nodes including dual-primary is probably a nightmare to setup and an even worse nightmare configuring a cluster to automate it...
> It's not a nightmare. It's just not possible. You can sleep soundly. :)
>
>> As far as I was told, linbit is working on three-way drbd-replication on a single-layer. But there are other systems both on the block- and on the fs-layer that do n-way replication...
> Yup. Well actually I'm not aware of anything that does n-way
> multi-master at the block level, although you could say that RBD does
> (not exactly correct, but close enough). Multi-master n-way filesystem
> replication is available in GlusterFS.

I would count rbd of ceph and also sheepdog as n-way replication at the
block-level. Although its the block-devices of virtual machines. And who
needs block-level replication for something else then VMs anyway? :-)
I tried HA-nfs with drbd below but went back to just providing drbd to a
vm for the nfs and (re)start that vm from corosync/pacemaker. Its a
bigger problem with samba as windows doesn't seem to like it when the
server crashes and restarts, probably because some packets in between
are answered with 'rejected'. nfs and smtp/imap are far more tolerant.

But somehow I fear my eviction from this list when I always answer posts
with a list of alternatives... Hint to the list-maintainers: I do have
drbd running in production, I do not (yet) have one of the other in
production...

Have fun,

Arnold
--
Dieses Email wurde elektronisch erstellt und ist ohne handschriftliche
Unterschrift gültig.