[DRBD-user] Do I need dual-primary mode?

Sebastian Kaps sebastian.kaps at imail.de
Mon Jun 4 18:39:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm having a two-node Corosync/Pacemaker cluster (active/passive) with XFS on two DRBD-volumes (SLES11 SP1 + HAE).
The active node has both volumes mounted and if this node fails, the passive node should take over and mount these volumes.
I'm aware that I can't mount XFS simultaneously on both nodes (which is not a problem).

The setup runs fine so far, with both DRBD-volumes in dual-primary mode (and STONITH configured).
But I'm currently not sure, if the dual-primary mode is actually needed or if there's a way to run in safer primary/secondary mode.
I think, in an earlier stage of this cluster and the disks being configured as primary/secondary, I've had problems to get the secondary disk promoted to primary after the old primary failed (i.e. was shut off).
I remember a "refusing to be primary while peer is not outdated" message in that case, but that may have had other causes.

What's the best/safest approach in my case?

--
Sebastian Kaps