[DRBD-user] wipe-md causes lvm to think logical volume is open after command completes

Chris Dickson chrisd1100 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 19:11:10 CEST 2012

Hey guys,

I ran into an odd issue with LVM and the wiping the drbd meta data from a
logical volume. Here is what my wipe md command looks like, this is all
done via a script:

drbdmeta --force num v08 /dev/vg0/vol100 internal wipe-md

Which succeeds, but then when the script performs a back to back lvremove:

lvremove -f /dev/vg0/vol100

I get this error a few times, but after a few retries of lvremove succeeds:

Can't remove open logical volume "vol100"

So I'm thinking even after the drbdmeta command returns, somehow there is
still a file descriptor open on the logical volume. Could it be udev doing
something? In my situation, when I remove the wipe-md command before the
lvremove, the issue goes away completely.

In a related question, is it necessary at all to wipe the drbd meta data? I
did it to avoid those 'strange bm offset' messages, but could it cause
problems if I just ignore wiping it?

Thanks,

Chris