[DRBD-user] DRBD - one half of Proxmox cluster miscommunicating

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Jul 31 13:43:56 CEST 2012

Hi Felix,

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:24:38 +0200
Felix Frank <ff at mpexnet.de> wrote:

> I see. Quite unusual I'd say, to have two drbd nodes that each
> use a NAS as backing device. But it looks sound, judging from
> the config. Thanks for that.

Thanks a lot for taking a look! I take it the strategy we've
already discussed for restoring sanity applies just as well to
this setup, then.

> Out of curiosity: Do you gain *any* advantage from using NAS in
> this setup instead of local disks in your drbd nodes?
> I'd like to point out that the drbd latency cost per write in
> this setup is probably (RTT between nodes) + (RTT between
> secondary and NAS), which may be small overhead, but
> potentially sub-optimal nontheless.

That's an interesting point. This is the only time I've ever worked
with DRBD, and I inherited these servers - so I can't compare. My
personal preference would certainly be to use local disk, if only
to circumvent the need for additional cabling and switches.

James

--
James Gibbon <james.gibbon at virgin.net>