[DRBD-user] Slow Reads on VM - Xenserver and DRBD

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Tue Jul 24 11:11:48 CEST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:40:17 +0200 Felix Frank wrote:

> > That clearly looks like some Xen deficiency or configuration issue,
> > can't help you with that, sorry.
> >

> That reminds me - I've once heard a talk on just why Xen has I/O
> performance issues. It's because of the way syscalls are handled among
> DomU kernel, Dom0 kernel and hypervisor.

Yeah, I've read the same thing and am leaning towards KVM for a fully
virtualized system, though Vserver and (in the future) LXC work for 90% of
the requirements I have.

[...]
> Finally: hdparm? Isn't that limited to the old IDE kernel drivers? Are
> you using those? If so - why?

While I certainly wouldn't recommend hdparm as generic storage
and filesystem performance measuring tool (bonnie++ comes to mind), it does
the "right" thing for read tests, more or less.
---
# hdparm -t /dev/drbd0

/dev/drbd0:
 Timing buffered disk reads: 2114 MB in  3.01 seconds = 702.38 MB/sec
---
That clocks in about 15% (100MB/s) slower than my bonnie tests, but it's
at least in the same ballpark. So the numbers he's seeing are
unfortunately correct AFAICT.

Regards,

Christian
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications