[DRBD-user] Drbd online resize with: md <-> drbd <-> lvm

Marc Roos M.Roos at f1-outsourcing.eu
Wed Jul 11 22:48:07 CEST 2012

Our setup
=========
 is two server with, software raid5 -> drbd device -> lvm

Can this be grown online or not? What is the best way to grow drbd
device that has on it lvm and as a backend software raid?

We have resized a raid5 and we now need to make the extra storage
available on the drbd device and then in our volume group.

Although the manual specifically says drbd needs to have lvm to grow, it

also states 'If the backing block devices can be grown while in
operation, it is also possible to increase the size of a DRBD device
based on these devices during operation' thus software raid???

On the manual there is specifically mentioned that

    The affected resource's backing device must be one managed by a
logical volume management subsystem, such as LVM or EVMS.

    The resource must currently be in the Connected connection state.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-8.3/s-resizing.html

Thanks in advance,
Marc

F1 Outsourcing Development Sp. z o.o.