[DRBD-user] Lower device already claimed error

Lin Zhao lin at groupon.com
Wed Jul 11 00:54:25 CEST 2012

Hi I'm setting up drbd on a Linux 2.6.18-238.el5. When I'm doing drbdadmin attach, i get error:

/dev/drbd1: Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually means it is mounted.
Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/sda2 /dev/sda2 internal --set-defaults --create-device' terminated with exit code 10

sda2 should by no means be mounted:
[root at mbus5 ~]# mount -l
/dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

Any pointer how to resolve this issue? I also tried zero out /dev/sda2 but it won't help.

My drbd.conf:
global {
  usage-count yes;
}