[DRBD-user] Switching from internal to external meta-disk

Jean-Baptiste jbfarez at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:59:36 CEST 2012

Hello,

Today I was confronted with this problem :

I've got a 2 nodes cluster. Both of them uses drbd resource to assume
failover.
The main drbd resource store all the data of an Oracle SGBD.

To solve my problematic (frequently resize resources), I decided to move
the drbd metadatas from internal to external volume.

The sub-layer used is LVM.
Here is how I was do this :

   1. Create new logical volume to store meta-datas
   2. Unmount the resource to migrate
   3. Dump the meta-datas to plain file
   4. Shutdown the resource (drbdadm down <RES>)
   5. Modify the drbd.conf to use meta-disk external
   6. Restart drbd daemon
   7. Create md for the resource (drbdadm create-md <RES>)
   8. Startup resource
   9. Doing drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary <RES> (from the
   primary node)
   10. Let synchronize process ending
   11. Done

At this step everything is fine, my SGBD was restarted without any warning,
nothing seems to go wrong.
But ... I was lost 11 days of data in my SGBD.

I'm disapointed, does anyone have an idea about this ?
At least to explain this.

Thanks