[DRBD-user] Removing DRBD Kernel Module Blocks

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Mon Jan 9 20:03:56 CET 2012

Hello,

I am using DRBD (8.3.7) on 2 Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 virtual machines. I have configured 2 DRBD devices, /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd1 as follows:

global { usage-count no; }
common {
syncer { rate 1000M; }
}
resource r0 {
protocol C;
startup {
wfc-timeout 15;
degr-wfc-timeout 60;
}
net {
after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;
after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
after-sb-2pri disconnect;
cram-hmac-alg md5;
shared-secret "thesecretpassword";
}
on node1 {
device /dev/drbd0;
disk /dev/vdb1;
address 192.168.1.10:7788;
meta-disk internal;
}
on node2 {
device /dev/drbd0;
disk /dev/vdb1;
address 192.168.1.11:7788;
meta-disk internal;
}
}
resource r1 {
protocol C;
startup {
wfc-timeout 15;
degr-wfc-timeout 60;
}
net {
after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;
after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
after-sb-2pri disconnect;
cram-hmac-alg md5;
shared-secret "thesecretpassword";
}
on node1 {
device /dev/drbd1;
disk /dev/vdc1;
address 192.168.1.10:7789;
meta-disk internal;
}
on node2 {
device /dev/drbd1;
disk /dev/vdc1;
address 192.168.1.11:7789;
meta-disk internal;
}
}

Shutting these VMs down gracefully takes over 30 minutes as the "rmmod drbd" command in /etc/rc0.d/K08drbd blocks. Moreover, it seems that access to any information related to the kernel modules blocks as well (e.g. "lsmod", accesses to /proc/modules, etc). Do you have any ideas on what is causing the removal of this module to block and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Andrew