[DRBD-user] drbd performance issue on SATA

François Delpierre drbd at pivert.org
Fri Jan 6 09:46:38 CET 2012

Hi,

Warning, I inserted a major confusion in my previous email.

When I wrote :
>> When I had these horrible performances I was not in a good situations :
>> - One 2GB disk SSD 7200RPM per node.
>> - DRBD 8.3, Protocol C, Active-Active
>> - 2 Network interfaces on a 100Mbits network switch.

This is of course SATA Magnetic/Mecanic drive. Thanks for pointing that SSD has to revolution per minute metrics.

I'm deeply sorry,

So, yes, the SSD completely changed the performances for this solution from a useless one to a working one.
And also, the Gigabit card is necessary to reach acceptable performances.
When you need fast resync, it's interesting to split your volumes in 2, to have 2 DRBD clusters :
with Cross-Cable, you always have the full duplex active, and if you cross sync 2 DRBD volume pairs, you can replicate at 90MB/s in one way, and 90MB/s the other way. (total 180MB/s for resyncing to DRBD volumes with one volume master on each node.)

Regards,