[DRBD-user] Downgrading 8.4.1 to 8.3.12

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 29 00:32:28 CET 2012

Is there any way of downgrading 8.4.1 to 8.3.12 without erasing the drbd
partition? When I try to start drbd 8.3.12 on a 8.4.1 partition, I get:

# service drbd start
Starting DRBD resources: [
admin
no suitable meta data found :(
Command '/sbin/drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/md2 internal check-resize' terminated with
exit code 255
drbdadm check-resize admin: exited with code 255
d(admin) 0: Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.

	==> Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area. <==

[admin] cmd /sbin/drbdsetup 0 disk /dev/md2 /dev/md2 internal --set-defaults
--create-device --fencing=resource-and-stonith  failed - continuing!

s(admin) n(admin) ].

OK, but when I try the suggested command:

# drbdadm create-md admin
pvs stderr:        /dev/md2: Skipping (regex)
pvs stderr:  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/md2"
pvs stderr:      Unlocking /var/lock/lvm/P_global
pvs stderr:        _undo_flock /var/lock/lvm/P_global

md_offset 2873200996352
al_offset 2873200963584
bm_offset 2873113276416

Found LVM2 physical volume signature
  2805774684 kB left usable by current configuration
Could not determine the size of the actually used data area.

Device size would be truncated, which
would corrupt data and result in
'access beyond end of device' errors.
If you want me to do this, you need to zero out the first part
of the device (destroy the content).
You should be very sure that you mean it.
Operation refused.

Command 'drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/md2 internal create-md' terminated with exit code 40
drbdadm create-md admin: exited with code 40

Since I'm not certain that the problems I'm having with cman+pacemaker+drbd are
caused by my drbd version, I'm reluctant to do this (and spend several hours
restoring the partitions) unless I absolutely have to.
--
Bill Seligman             | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ | mailto://seligman@nevis.columbia.edu