[DRBD-user] Documentation download & another DRBD question

Jake Smith jsmith at argotec.com
Fri Feb 17 18:03:20 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

I don't see why LVM/snapshotting would care how big the folders are... you take the snapshot and basically have point-in-time of the volume which you can mount and use as a regular volume (r/w or whatever).  Only thing I watch out for is that I have enough space allocated to the snapshot because any changes that occur on the volume you've taken the snapshot of require enough space to track until you remove the snapshot.  For my use I run the following command right after my backup finishes (just before deleting snapshot) and it's part of my backup log every night.  That way I can keep an eye on how much of the allocated space is used by the snapshot and make sure I always have sufficient snapshot size and physical space available.  I believe all I/O would freeze if your snapshot ran out of space to write changes... no good! :-)

lvs command I use:
    lvs -o origin,lv_name,origin_size,lv_size,snap_percent /vol_group_path/snapshot_vol_name
lv_size is how much space I allocate to track snapshot changes
snap_percentage is how much of the lv_size has been used tracking changes so far