[DRBD-user] Documentation download & another DRBD question

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Feb 17 16:20:09 CET 2012

On 02/17/2012 08:19 AM, Brian O Mahony wrote:
> Hey folks
>
> I have a server with about 500GB of data on its own filesystem.
> Currently, nightly, we lock this data, use tar to copy it it another
> volume, unlock it, then use gzip on the copy to compress, and then copy
> this to a second server for backup. The reason for the multi-step
> process, is we want to keep data lock time a minimum.
>
> What I was thinking of doing is using DRBD to mirror this volume to the
> second server. At backup time, on the second system, we stop the
> process, or stop the packet shipping or likewise, so there will be no
> updates, lock the data, run tar/gz, unlock, and restart the synchronization.
>
> Is this possible. IE can DRBD deal with a system being unavailable for a
> few hours, store changes (or do checksums etc) and then replay those
> changes when the second system comes back online?

What it sounds like you need is LVM's snapshotting capability. DRBD is
designed to be a block-level replication tool, not a backup tool per-se.

For example, DRBD would be perfect playing the role of protecting your
data from a sudden catastrophic failure on the server. There would be no
data loss at all and within moments, the system could be back online
with the help of a clustering layer like pacemaker or rhcs.

Though you could technically break the secondary/backup node off, force
it to be primary (inducing a split-brain condition, which is generally
something you want to avoid), copying the data and then invalidating the
node again, it would be a very unwise way of using DRBD. Whereas LVM's
snapshot partitions are designed to do exactly what you want. It
"freezes" the data at a point in time, allowing the partition to stay in
use while you back up that snapshot partition.

As a secondary aside; Why use cp instead of rsync?

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com