[DRBD-user] Moving dm_crypt+LVM to dm_crypt+DRBD+LVM

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Dec 12 15:03:50 CET 2012

On 12/12/2012 01:12 PM, Andreas Heinlein wrote:

>> Seeing as performance is obviously not an issue at all in your setup, I
>> disbelieve that you will have to be especially careful about your DRBD
>> setup.
> Well, depends on what you call 'performance'. How'd you get this idea?
> I'd like to be at least able to saturate a 1GBit/s link with this setup,
> which software-encryption on the current machine definitely does not.

I'll have to admit that I've gone on a bit of a limb here, not knowing
what kind of drives you're using etc., but I did find it hard to imagine
that you're doing a disk throughput of >100MBps on an encrypted(!)
RAID5. Moreover, I'd also expect latency to be a nightmare as is.

In other words, I'd expect DRBD+network not to be going to be your
bottleneck.

Regards,
Felix