[DRBD-user] DRBD over LVM - Cannot open backing device

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Wed Dec 12 09:52:48 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Paul Shannon - NOAA Federal
<paul.shannon at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup DRBD for the first time on a 2-node cluster using DRBD
> over a lvm lvgroup.  I believe I have set it up just as outlined in sec10.2
> of the DRBD User's Guide.  My r0.res is setup with:
> resource 0 {

Is this a cut & paste error? Unless this is in fact "r0" rather than
"0", I wouldn't expect "drbdadm <command> r0" to work.

>   volume 0 {
>     device /dev/drbd1;
>     disk /dev/vg_ajksjnusrv/lv_shared;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
>   on ajk-s-jnusrv1.jnu.nwsar.gov {
>     address 10.0.64.1:7789;
>   }
>   on ajk-s-jnusrv2.jnu.nwsar.gov {
>     address 10.0.64.2:7789;
>   }
> }
>
> lvscan shows
>   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_ajksjnusrv/lv_shared' [1.91 TiB] inherit
>
> drbdadm create-md r0   works fine. But when I try drbdadm up r0 I get
> 1: Failure: (104) Can not open backing device.
> Command 'drbdsetup attach 1 /dev/vg_ajksjnusrv/lv_shared
> /dev/vg_ajksjnusrv/lv_shared internal' terminated with exit code 10
>
> /var/log/messages says
> block drbd1: open("/dev/vg_ajksjnusrv/lv_shared") failed with -16

-16 is -EBUSY (Device or resource busy). Are you sure nothing has that
device open?

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Florian