[DRBD-user] DRBD Replication Modes

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Sun Dec 9 18:34:17 CET 2012

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-node-failure.html

>  We also noticed that during high write loads on the
> primary the number of kilobytes out of sync would grow, but eventually the
> secondary would catch up.

Only when in disconnected mode. And then after the connection is
restored, you resync:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resync.html

> After reading the documentation, we were surprised at the testing results.

Um, sorry, you seem to not have reviewed the documentation in
sufficient detail. :)

> Is this expected and/or correct behavior, or have we incorrectly configured
> something for the DRBD device?

Perfectly expected.

Now, if you're looking for PostgreSQL HA, the alternative to DRBD is
obviously to use Postgres synchronous replication, available since
9.1. Also integrated with Pacemaker. Since that option forgoes DRBD,
though, a discussion of that option would be off-topic for this list,
and if you're interested in pursuing that option I'd encourage you to
take this discussion to the Pacemaker or linux-ha mailing list.

Cheers,
Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?