[DRBD-user] What can cause ": I shall become SyncTarget, but I am primary!'

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Dec 3 12:43:11 CET 2012

Hi,

On 11/29/2012 08:45 PM, John Anthony wrote:
> Felix,
>
> Primary was secondary - Yes! - And Secondary was primary.
>
> Then we switched roles by:
> 1. disconnecting the devices
> 2. Explicitly setting old secondary side to primary and old primary side
> to secondary. We also swiched the
> 3. connected all devices, sync resumed in the reverse order and the role
> change took effect and everything worked.
>
> We have done this before ...
>
> This issue started 10 days ago.
>
> Our use case - that we use drbd for backups. On the secondary side,
> after a full sync, we promote secondary to primary and validate the data
> which does write to the drbd device. And then the secondary side is
> demoted to secondary and another sync is taken. We know the few devices
> that are written and those are explicitly verified,
>
> Hope that makes sense,

Not really. I get the impression that your more or less abusing DRBD for
backup validation. This may or may not be OK. The way you do it does not
seem to be OK.

Can you try once more to describe the workflow? It would be helpful if
you use terms like "node1" and "node2" to make things more clear.
Also, please don't forget to keep the list in CC.

Regards,
Felix